The Hudswell Bell



After all the trials and tribulations of the last eighteen months our new bell has now arrived at Calstock and installation is in progress. The bell was previously hung in the church of St Michael and All Angels, Hudswell, Yorkshire and when that church was decommissioned the bell was housed at St Mary's, Richmond.


The bell was cast in 1715 by Samuel Smith of York, as well as the date it bears the inscription "Voco Veni Precare", the initials of two church wardens and the makers mark.


It will be hung in the west window of the belfry and will be used as a chime bell for the clock and for tolling.